Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Old Friend

You know how it is when someone mentions a mutual acquaintance in passing conversation and it brings that person to mind? Yesterday at work someone mentioned the author Robert Benson and his book "Living Prayer", one of my all time favorite books. As soon as I got home I pulled it from the "B" section of the bookshelf (aren't your books alphabetized?!)

And it felt exactly like a reunion with an old friend as I re-read this lovely book. Familiar, highlighted phrases brought a grin to my face and joy to my spirit. The passage of time and life's experiences since we last met were applied in a fresh way to the counsel and wisdom and beauty of this little book. Books are treasures! Here are some of the words that continue to knead truth into my heart......

"It is a life lived at attention that I seek, a life in which prayer has woven itself into the very fabric of my days, a life in which prayer has become a constant, as regular as breathing out and breathing in."

"I have always enjoyed the part of the prayer (John 15:16) that suggests to us that we are taken by God, that we are chosen. "You did not choose me, I chose you," we are told Jesus said to His friends once, and I claim it for myself as often as I feel I can get away with it. I remind myself of the hope of it when the darkness comes, and I celebrate the astonishment of it when the Light is all around me."

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

Mari~ I love you and miss you. Read this post felt like I was sitting in the "Girl Talk Cry" area and you were sharing your joy with just me. Life is crazy right now with little Jude ... I cry more than I have in a while... good cries & frustrated cries. I'll call and we'll chat soon. Love ya!

T said...

What powerful words from your friend. Thanks for sharing them with me. Indeed, books are treasures!

About Me