Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas memories

As I'm writing this post I'm listening to Pandora internet radio which I just discovered yesterday - (what a fun discovery! ) Currently I'm listening to Perry Como sing Christmas songs. He was one of my mom's favorite singers and I remember listening to him at home when I was little. Makes her feel a little closer!

Every year when it's time to decorate the tree I get out this box filled with angel ornaments which were part of mom's collection. After she passed away we girls split them between us, keeping the ones we had given her.

Christmas is so tied in with memories of her life and death. She loved Christmas and all the trimmings so much! She made it so special for our family. Every year for many years she would make me and Nancy a new floor length flannel nightie with ruffles at the neck for those chilly Michigan winter nights. We loved that!

Another sweet memory as an adult was our annual tradition of reading "A Cup of Christmas Tea" together. We heard this read on Focus on the Family in the 1980's and we both loved it! (My mom gave me my love for words!) We each had our own copy and we'd find a quiet moment sometime during the holiday season and read it out loud.

Mom's last Christmas on earth was spent in the hospital receiving chemo treatments for acute leukemia. I finished my radiation treatments for breast cancer in time to spend the last 10 days of her life with her.

That last Christmas morning I didn't go to church with Dale and the boys, but went up to the hospital to see her. She said my arrival that morning was the best present ever. She always made me feel that way. We read the Christmas story in Luke 2 together and also the daily devotional in "Our Daily Bread". She prayed - how I wish I could remember every word of that prayer! I read "A Cup of Christmas Tea" to her. We went for a walk around the oncology unit and did a little housekeeping in her room. Every minute was hallowed and special.

Later that day, after the traditional party at Nancy's house, a bunch of us kids and grandkids went up to her room and sang Christmas carols around her bed and prayed. Sacred moments.....precious memories.......just a few days later she would be with dad and Jesus.

Angels, Perry Como, flannel nighties, songs, Scripture, poems, laughter, tears, hugs, prayers, and so much love.

One night when I was leaving the hospital I hugged her and said, " I love you mom, but you know that." And she hugged me tight and said, "I'm glad we've said it all along."

And now the tears are flowing and my heart is aching......the hurt is in proportion to the love and the love was great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How I love you Mari. God has used you in so many ways in my life to teach me by word, and by how you live out the gospel daily in your own life. So I have been blessed to not only HEAR truth coming from you... I have been also blessed to SEE truth by your walk. I thank you for sharing the things with me that matter most, and am grateful beyond words that you call me friend. Love you, shirleyjean

About Me