Dan just asked me to email him this picture of mom and dad and the green bananas I gave them as a gift the Christmas before dad passed away and I thought I'd put it on the blog too.In our rather blunt, bizarre family way we would make the joke "they're still buying green bananas" when we'd talk about someone's impending demise. When mom and dad opened this rather unusual gift they both burst into laughter. I loved making them laugh.
Tomorrow, April 2, is the anniversary of dad's homegoing. Four years already since he's been gone.
This is my all time hands down favorite picture of mom and dad. It is so full of joy and life and laughter and fun. This is how I love to remember them. It took awhile after each of their deaths to replace in my mind's eye the memory of the ravages cancer made in their beautiful faces with pictures such as this one. But this is who they truly were. Their lives were filled with the usual share of grief, disappointment and other challenges but their lives were also a testimony of the deep delight that comes from loving and being loved by God. I miss them very very much and I sure do look forward to their smiles and welcoming hugs when we're reunited some day.
1 comment:
Well friend, this sure brought tears to my eyes. I LOVE the green banana gift. :) And I especially love this laughing picture of them. It's so easy to see by their sweet smiles, why you loved them so deeply. I look so forward to meeting them in heaven one day, and I hope our moms become wonderful friends as they wait on us to come home. shirley
Post a Comment