Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Project 365 - Day 307


I am not a "saver" by nature so it's pretty miraculous that I still have one of my dolls from when I was a little girl. I loved playing with dolls and remember having several but this is the only one that is still around. Crazy to think that this doll is 50 years old! An antique just like me! I wish I could remember her name - my sister probably knows :-) She has an amazing memory for details!

I really wish I or my mom would have saved a few more things from my childhood. I wish I would have saved more things of the boys growing up years. I know Joe was upset by how much I got rid of when we moved from MI to TN - at the time it seemed practical - now I regret making such a clean sweep.

I wish I would have saved more of the cards and letters my mom wrote to me. It wasn't until after she passed away that I was frantic to find every bit of her handwriting I could. Now every recipe card, birthday card, and sticky note with her beautiful script is precious to me.

I save alot more things these days. Every note I receive from family and friends, shells, leaves, voice mails and crayon drawings from the grandkids, photos......I know the day will come when the kids will grumble about the boxes of "stuff" they'll have to move from the Court, but maybe one of them will realize sooner than I did the importance of saving and savoring the fragile, fleeting pieces of a life and tuck a few boxes away for safekeeping.

1 comment:

Adriannhulst@gmail.com said...

Amen, Mary. I am a saver, of my kid's things. Earl would like to toss most of it, but so far I have persevered. I cherish the few things from my mom, and even a few from my grandmother (her diary of a trip to the Netherlands). It helped being her sole namesake. Thanks for the reminders.

About Me