Day 99 - Project 365
One of my new springtime traditions, thanks to the recommendation of my Shirley friend, is to go to the Forest Hills Cemetery in St. Elmo in April when the azaleas and dogwoods are showing off. I spent a couple of hours there this morning, just wandering around, letting the Spirit lead me. A couple of times I just sat on one of the little benches scattered throughout, the ones with someone's last name on them. I think I would like to leave behind a "VanderWoude" bench for a cemetery stroller to rest herself awhile on a perfect April day.
I wander and wonder about the stories surrounding me. I feel akin to them without knowing them as we all love, hate, laugh, fear, triumph, lose, remember, dance, learn, wait.
The colors were blindingly beautiful. Masses of color against gray granite. Unruly life growing over tombstones.
And I remember those I've loved who have exited this earth and I whisper "I love you and miss you" and I listen to the salty, sweet tears. And I can only keep moving because I believe I believe I believe in the Resurrection of the dead.
I leave satiated because I had all the time in the world to be in this place where time is of no consequence....I get so tired of rushing rushing to the next place. I need times like this to taste stillness long and deep. To follow my heart and listen closely to it, trusting it to continue to lead me to places I need to find.
No comments:
Post a Comment