Thursday, March 12, 2009

jammy time

Every single Christmas until we got too cool for school my mom would make a new flannel nightie for me and Nancy. We never ever saw her working on them before we received them but there was always a familiar squishy package under the tree for each of us girls. They were soooo soft and always pink and each stitch was filled with love. On cold Michigan winter mornings we would stand over the grates of the floor furnace and our nighties would billow out around us like sails.

While mom was in the hospital doing chemo I stayed at her apartment and I got in the habit of putting on her white terry bathrobe - it was almost as good as having her arms around me in a hug. When she passed away I brought it home with me and every time I put it on I am reminded of her love and warmth.

1 comment:

T said...

love this post and imagining you as a little girl in her jammies! i'll think of that next time i see you in the big, white robe!

About Me