Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sifting thru a life

"Mari gets the words." That was always the understanding. The words, a few old postcards, a bit of lace, wedding and funeral announcements....

Periodically I get the box down out of the closet and sort through it all again. Her journals stand like silent sentinels on the bookshelf, waiting for me to glean and garner a pithy saying, an insight, an occasional epiphany - in between what she had made for dinner, how much rain fell, who they played cards with.

The other day a friend of mine sent me a card that mom had sent her four years ago. What a surprise to open the envelope unaware that mom's familiar flowing handwriting would be the first thing I saw. It gave my heart a start.

How do I honor her memory best? How do I care for these pieces she left behind? When will I be able to touch what she touched without tears?

3 comments:

T said...

You're on a blogging roll! Fun to see what you've been up to. Love this last post about Grandma... love you!

Adriann said...

Wow, Mari, did you ever hit this one on the head/heart. I have a large box waiting for me to sift through from my mom as well. Will the task ever be accomplished?

Pard said...

We get those next right? Okay sounds good.

About Me