Sunday, December 20, 2009

"No Ordinary Night" or Day for that matter

The title for this post comes from one of the songs from the musical the kids at New City put on tonight. It's been an amazingly wonder filled day! The kind of day that reminds me of the Voice that called us to this crazy place. For the past several weeks Victoria's nephews and niece have been coming to church with us. Tonight we had the annual Children's Christmas Pageant and Corey & Corell were "sheep" along with their cousin Kobe who came for the first time today but decided that he'd like to participate too (Kobe's mom came but C & C's didn't). But her absence didn't seem to faze the boys and when they filed in for the program they waved wildly and blew us kisses. I am soooo proud of V since she helped the boys practice their songs all afternoon before the program! I love that she's introducing these younger members of her family to the things she's experienced at New City!!


We had to have our picture made with Ms. JoAnn, our mama on the "dark side" as she would say. She has adopted us since we worked on her house the first year we came to Chattanooga on a missions trip.
Corell just loves James Ward, our worship and music director! And I think Mr. Ward gets a kick out of this hyper, loving little guy. So fun to see the boys being loved on by so many of the church family!


Group picture after the program - sheep ears and all!



Gary is always so silly and loving with Victoria!





I will always be so grateful to Debi for being so intentional with the BASICS program at New City. These three young people were part of that program and I love it when they still show up at New City functions and see it as their church home. How I wish I had the time to pour into that program but I just can't with my other work obligations. God is faithful. I rest in that. He will call His own.
I'm just really thankful tonight to be here and to have the chance to love urban kids. The other day when I was getting my haircut and I was talking to the stylist about Victoria she said she would be so scared to go into those neighborhoods and asked how I dared to go and at that moment I realized all over again that I wasn't scared to go because the Lord has called me to go there and He will protect me. I don't even have the choice not to. Urban ministry is messy and frustrating but watching C & C sing songs of Christ's birth and seeing them have fellowship with the family of God makes everything so worth it, the relatively small sacrifice on our parts! The grin just won't leave my face tonight......I am thankful.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we are of the same cloth my friend, of this I am absolutely certain! :-) I wrote on my facebook today that "I am still smiling today" because of the "little bit of Heaven" yesterday.Thanks for being the one I can totally share this feeling with.

About Me